Friday, March 14, 2008

Easy Preemie Hat Pattern


Knitted Preemie Hat

All sizes follow the same instructions.

Newborn uses size 8 needles and a 4 ply SOFT yarn (such as Caron Simply Soft)

Medium preemie size uses size 6 needles and uses a baby sport weight 3 ply yarn (Such as Red Heart baby sport)

Small preemie size uses a size 4 needle and baby yarn


General Directions:
Cast on 54 sts.
Work in Kl-Pl ribbing for 16 rows. (for approximately 2 inches.)
Change to Stockinette stitch. (alternate knit one row and purl one row -- knit for 24 rows)
Decrease Rows:
Row1-- Knit 3 knit 2 together across
Row2--Purl 2 Purl 2 together across
Row 3 -Knit 1 Knit 2 together across
Row 4--Knit 2 together across.

Cut a long length of yarn for sewing. Gather remaining sts and sew securely.

[Alternate stem top (as in picture): Continue final stitches for 3 rows and bind off.]

Sew back seam.
Add pompom or bow if desired.

5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Thanks for sharing your pattern. This is a really cute hat!

Anonymous said...

Found you at Wool Windings and would like to send a few preemie hats your way. How do I find an address?

Susan

Amy said...

Susan,

Thanks so much! We would be honored and very appreciative of your help!

I would love to give you an address. I just need your email address so that I could give you instructions.

Thanks,
Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how to give you my email with out putting it in the comments for all the world to see.

Susan

Lisa Marsh said...

Hi great pattern thanks....
just have a question, when l get to my first dec row (kit 3, knit 2 together) I end up with 4 remainding sts not 5. so what do l do with the last 4 sts???? I have the right nomber of stitch 54.